As mentioned, we like to be chronologically correct when taking holiday, so to celebrate our plunge into the realms of wedded bliss we took a month’s holiday and visited the beautiful country of New Zealand.
We begun our journey around New Zealand in Christchurch and fell in love immediately. There were so many highlights of the trip that a short write up like this would not do it justice. I think you can appreciate this from the fact that between us we took well over 2000 photos, the beauty of digital photography.
Highlights would include
- Our trip to Hapuku Lodge in Kaikoura. Five star tree houses, expensive but fantastic. We paid for a honeymoon package that incorporated a number of trips with the accommodation including a whale watching trip where we spied sperm whales and dusky dolphins.
- Heli-hiking on Fox Glacier was a truly awesome experience plus the nearby Matheson Lake with its mirrored surface was a worth the five minute drive and early morning rise as it was a photographer’s dream.
- Lake Wanaka, a place that we both felt that we could live.
- Milford Sound, amazing scenery, the first time that I had travelled on a Fjord and seen penguins in the wild.
- Queenstown, beautiful as well as the adventure capital of New Zealand.
- Akaroa, where we saw the indigenous Hector’s Dolphins one of the rarest marine dolphins in the world.
- TiriTiri Matangi island off the coast at Aukland where among the many native species we saw one of the rarest birds in the world, the Takahe, which was believed extinct until Dr Geoffrey Orbell rediscovered them on 20th November 1948.
- The Glowworm caves at Waitomo.
- And finally the smells and geo-thermal wonders of Rotorua, and nearby Lady Knox Geyser and the Champagne pool at Wai-Tapu.
Enjoy a small selection of the photos below and there are even more on the Flickr pages (link on the right).